Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Al'Kabor (EQMac) EverQuest Server

It's not just the PoP era; that can be sort-of recreated on an EMU like projectEQ. The real loss here is the original codebase; the original hp/ac/thac0/damage etc etc etc mechanics are gone forever when al'kabor dies. This original code is also the main reason the shutdown is happening - Hobart is the only person still at SoE who could work with it and they need him to work on whatever continuation of "the vision" they're trying to unfuck (currently Vanguard?).

So yeah, GG smed and bye Everquest 1
    Juice, Al'Kabor
    Lothaine

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    Work is underway to preserve that kind of data before the shutdown. The mob damage formula has been known for a very long time and any MT worth a shit knew about it to know when to use evasive instead of defensive. The Steel Warrior forum has a list of uber mob DB and DI values (which can be used to determine min and max hits). I am in the process of collecting DB and DI values along with mob max hp for common mobs of all levels in every expac era right now. I also frapsed every zone that got revamped on live servers (minus a few like the hole) and screencapped showEQ screens of all those zones. The emu devs already have packet sniffed mob locs though.

I have already collected enough data to notice certain patterns in the way SOE determines a mob's DB and DI. Even if they are unknown for some mobs, we can use the knowledge of those patterns to get a good approximation, if not the exact values.

AC is trickier but there are some posts that discuss tests done back in the PoP era. Uber Paladin Lola ran his own tests with AC on a PoFire mob and that post is still available to guild members on this forum in the old strategy forum. I have some old logs done in the Velious era on the mist panther, and I know of at least one thread on the Steel Warrior. I also logged 99% of my time while on Al'Kabor for the past year.

I am entertaining the idea of rolling some new characters on the Test server and leveling them up to the point where I can box PoP content just to get extremely accurate max HP values for raid mobs. That's a lot of work though.

Btw Juice, if you have raid logs of tanks or casters with other's hits on, I would love to get them. Uber mob max hits are all mostly known (but not all); it's the trash mobs that I could use logs for. Luclin mobs in particular. I still have all my logs from 2003 raids but I haven't gone through them to know which mobs I don't have. I do have a ton of PoTime logs though.

I may still have all my show eq logs from back in the day, I'll take a look. I still have the install and such in my backups. If they are any help I'll surely give them to ya.
    CB Retired Eq Speedbump
    CLUCK

Sure, I'll take everything I can get

Got a text that Sleepers has been reset, so I'll try to keep you posted if I hear of anyone going down there so you can log the whole thing.
    Juice, Al'Kabor
    Lothaine

A sleepers tomb log that caught all the melee would be really great to have.

If you really want to go nuts, have every single caster log their damage and add it all together to get max hp. Or just do a suicide run with a couple of wizards and a tank, nuke warders down to something like 10%, die, add up all the damage, and do some simple math. There are no warders on live servers to get accurate hitpoints of.

Well we have a slight problem Juice. I logged you in a couple days after you requested that I check the zone with showEQ to check the zone again and I logged you out of the way of the garg pat but close enough to the gate to aggro the Final Arbiter when I logged you in tonight, and failed to channel 3 gates, so you're dead in there. (yes I should have gated you out but I'm stupid)

Asking for a necro summon in alliance but no luck so far. I still have that Zland talisman unused and access to a keyed well geared warrior so I can provide a war and cler (or some other class) to help fight down there if it came to it. Hell I imagine we could kill Klandicar for another and Zland should be up again.

Really want to use you for a fight to parse EP trash. Can't do it naked and run your corpse timer out though.

Nevermind. I just decided to use that idiot's warp hack to get my cleric down there after using it to get her a key so I got you out.

Tommy Chong's new sidekick
    Is this how you guys play EQ1 these days?

These days I don't play EQ-- I make EQ. I joined the guys over at what is now called 'The Al'Kabor Project', which aims to be a PoP era classic EQ server.

It's obvious EQ1Live is not going to last much longer so I have to collect as much data from it as I can. Every scrap of it turns out to be valuable after the servers shut down.

Btw if anybody has any old EQ logs, I'd love to have them.

Torrid the Historian. Very cool. Is it playable?

It's playable as in you can run around, kill mobs, and level up; but there is still much to be done before it's really launch ready

So that emu I'm helping with entered a no-pwipe state on Jan 1st. It's a soft launch of sorts. (rough around the edges but playable)

http://www.takproject.net

If anybody is interested I can provide a link to a working client. It's classic era, but with PoK, Iksar and Vah Shir enabled. Level cap 50. Only non-classic zones open are Cabilis, Shar Vahl, Field of Bone, and Shadeweavers. 3 box limit. A poopsocker hit 50 today.

The global chat channel has over 100 in it during prime time. How many of those are boxes I couldn't say.

Very cool Torrin. I hope you're doing well.

Dude, linky linky. I'm thinking either p99 or your thing.
    Last edited by Aerothas; 01-14-2015 at 05:28 PM. Reason: stupid

I searched eqmule (I know that name) and the al kabor project. It brought me to a Google drive with a possible client.. is that it?

eqgame.exe patchme equals...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wtf.png 
Views:	360 
Size:	263.8 KB 
ID:	7473

I was on p99 earlier no problem! Jeeze!

Edit: Working. Needed to run with EQW. :\
    Last edited by Aerothas; 01-14-2015 at 08:16 PM.

The project is doing better than I expected. I'm rather pleased actually. It's not project 1999 quality (and frankly probably never will be) but it's certainly enjoyable for me to play. NPC statistics are very accurate. My FoH buddies are addicted. Our client has the advantage of being older than p99's, so it's more classic in that sense, even if our quest database and mechanics aren't as accurate. (this improves with time though of course) Our current state compared to a month ago is a massive improvement.

I have the client on my google drive, but I don't want to give the link out publicly. Anybody who PMs me can have it. (will PM you Aerothas) The client is 2.1 gigs uncompressed; it's a cleaned up version with all the post-PoP era zones and new spell effects removed.
    Last edited by Torrid; 08-25-2015 at 03:16 AM. Reason: our client is older, not our project

Wow, this forum is dead.

The Al'Kabor Project launches Kunark in October. Get your nostalgia fix here.

General information about the server
    Getting started guide and client downloads

The Al'Kabor Project's Velious expansion launches September 21st. Come play in the snow.

I personally spent a ridiculous amount of time parsing NPC statistics and fine tuning the combat mechanics to provide an accurate recreation of EverQuest's combat system. When you kill our Avatar of War, you're killing the real deal. AC softcaps and diminishing returns formulae were even decompiled from the client. Our stuff is legit.

PC and Mac clients are available.

Our server has a thee box limit, so you may play up to three characters simultaneously. Most of the community came from the old EQMac server and they're a laid-back friendly bunch. Staff will mandate rotations on raid bosses (so no 'poopsocking' here) should it be required, but they've been getting along well enough to not need it so far.

Luclin will probably open in another year or so, (no guarantees on timelines however) and we're ending at Planes of Power, so you have plenty of content to look forward to after this.

Relive the ding.