Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: EverQuest Next

Blog Entries
    I still remember how amazing it was in a crazy dungeon with a skilled enchanter keeping control of an overpull with multiple mobs mesmerized while they charm another to help clean up the pull (back before the "AE everything in 1 pull days").
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

And you remembered that person's fucking name and friended them for groups later. You made damn sure that person was in your groups going forward if you could help it, because a good enchanter made everyone around them better.
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

Agree'd
    CB Retired Eq Speedbump
    CLUCK

Hoss's Resident Historian Gheltire's Avatar
    Gunter and I already have this one zeroed in. I did the kickstarter for garriots game looking for the same "throwback" atmosphere with whatever "next gen" they can come up with. Youd think that building/destroying will be a nobrainer, and if you are worried about whether or not kids these days like to be competitive in MMOs, my 7 yr old is a griefer/pk in minecraft. So I think you could really bring that guild mentality into play with actual defend/attack modes that a guild could participate in nightly. Blend PVE and PVP, with faction, and world economy impact. And as a guy who used to spend hours mapping the world from up on the tops of walls, hearing that there is extended travel time is welcome. Beats playing neverwinter for 36 minutes a day

I do miss the adventure that traveling in itself can offer. Some times it was mind numbing, but all in all it added something positive in my opinion.
    Widespread Panic

Quote Originally Posted by Widespreadd Panic View Post
    I do miss the adventure that traveling in itself can offer. Some times it was mind numbing, but all in all it added something positive in my opinion.
    Aye, and lets not forget death meant running back multiple zones. This mechanic in itself made players better or the ones that sucked just up and quit.

Hope all is well WSP we miss ya~

Death meant something Aind. It meant you didn't try hard enough, lol. Back then when you wiped. It could mean hours of your life gone for someone fucking up. It was both awful and awesome at the same time. It was how you could not have to make the event itself mind numbing, just fucking hard. I hate how wow made events just weirder and weirder and along the way they just stopped being fun and started being run here then run here then click this button and then don't step in that and run here. Remember Qvic? remember those mazes that you had to figure out and it took days!!! That was fun... that was awesome.

I don't know if anything will ever come close to Everquest (original). Dying in EQ actually meant something and your corpse could possibly rot!! I remember when I was level 20 and I died somewhere in Orc Hill and my cable went out. I drove at 2 am in the morning to one of my friends house just to get my corpse back haha! There exists no mmo that gives that sense of fear.

PoH raid with a old guidl and they wiped and gave up , I paid every plat i had to a wiz and a lock to get my corpse back i got 1 hour sleep before work i was so stressed . Oh how i miss that lol
    CB Retired Eq Speedbump
    CLUCK

My first trip to Lower Guk, got a bag, got a manastone, then on the way out group wiped in the mino maze. Ran back and got my body, but didn't have time to loot so tried to corpse it out to zone in and got lost. It was 2am in the morning and I had made probably 6 trips through that maze clicking /corpse. Ended up going to bed with such a sick feeling. Next morning, got up, and ran down to lguk again and did a petition and a very friendly gnome gm came and got the body. Said it was stuck in a wall. Never had a feeling like that again in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Andaas View Post
    I completely forgot about the fact that not every class had a Gate spell - so leaving the dungeon was sometimes as much work as starting them if you didn't have a druid or wizard to take the group(s) out.
    Try to run out and then have the rogue drag your corpses to the zone in for rez!

I still remember how amazing it was in a crazy dungeon with a skilled enchanter keeping control of an overpull with multiple mobs mesmerized while they charm another to help clean up the pull (back before the "AE everything in 1 pull days").
    Mmm.. yeah that was good times.. especially with Lyynch 4 boxing the rest of the group and his necro's pet backstabbing my mez mobs!

Unfortunately the days of EQ like games are likely gone. WoW has pussified an entire generation of gamers.

I completely forgot about the fact that not every class had a Gate spell - so leaving the dungeon was sometimes as much work as starting them if you didn't have a druid or wizard to take the group(s) out.
    Even EQ fucked that up with the TL to bind once the world got "too big".

Keep your eye on Kickstarter. I'm guessing 'something' will hit within the next 4 to 5 weeks.

Oh.. and you'll have to keep an open mind due to a couple things, but I believe it's on the right track to be the game WE all miss (challenging, engaging, and social).
    Elidroth, Overlord Skirt

Booyakasha!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elidroth View Post
    (challenging, engaging, and social).
    Yay, EverQuest for Facebook!
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

Ewww

Yay, EverQuest for Facebook!
    Um... No.
    Elidroth, Overlord Skirt

Booyakasha!

Hello again...

Career and family can kill a gaming habit! My gaming is currently limited to leading a mobile game 'Modern War' faction, and playing 4e with remote tools like MapTools/Vent on Sunday nights. If you guys pick a game that several folks will be joining (other than WoW), I'm in. Let us know when the kickstarter listing goes active Elid.

Good to see some of the old names!

Kat
    Defender Kattoo Tacit protecting your lands since November 2000.

EQ was a blast, but I don't ever wish for another game of its kind because I'm selfish and I don't have that sort of time to devote to a game. I'd like something challenging that doesn't require you to play it like a part-time (or full-time) job.
    Never underestimate how complicated simple life can be...

I've had more birthdays than Strom Thurman! Zappo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by depen View Post
    EQ was a blast, but I don't ever wish for another game of its kind because I'm selfish and I don't have that sort of time to devote to a game. I'd like something challenging that doesn't require you to play it like a part-time (or full-time) job.
    Key-camp requirements in EQ1 essentially enforced selection bias towards the group of players that could enter the zones with the biggest reward. Whereas, for VP, sleepers, and Vex Thall you needed a mix of raid groups, single groups most importantly-- free time to gain access. This really made it so the players that could spend ~8 hours to camp the key, could shift their time to raiding.

I don't know if a ~3+ key hour camp applies for EQNext, where SoE aims to create an ever changing world. However, what might work is a multiple hour dungeon-wide ring event that lasts a few hours. I could totally get behind that. Now I think a perfect raid duration would be under 90 mins, which puts me in the super casual category, HOWEVER I think some super-hardcore raiding option should be available. But I have no idea how it should work! Off the top of my head, faction grind mixed with gear and ability is probably the best way.