Thread: Questions on what tablet I should get

Questions on what tablet I should get

Under 400, would like 8-10 inch. Doesn't matter the brand or OS. Want a new one, not a refurb or a old model that is about to be replaced and won't get updates..

Saw the Nividia new tablet, heard they were poorly made, but pretty good

Saw the Tab S, seems too rich for my blood.

Saw the Tab 4... How soon do they stop getting updates?

Apple?

Post what you think below, I'm a tablet noob.
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

Blog Entries
    I've read about the new Nvidia tablet being a gaming beast (as far as tablets go at least).

I've had to support tablets for all kinds of friends and family members (both Android and Apple based ones). I lean a little more towards the Apple camp as I've been a iPhone user for a while and have had my iPad 2 for quite a while now. It still runs everything I use pretty well (games included). iOS is a little more intuitive from my experience and the setup is a little easier than the various Android flavors (again this comes from supporting tech-challenged family more than anything, heh).

You are pretty savvy so honestly I don't think you would have much trouble with either platform, and you will find essentially the same the same apps/games/etc on both as well. In-browser flash support is still a tricky issue on iOS devices, however there are third-party browsers on it that do support it now. In my experience rich flash content stuff does not run that great on anything but the very fastest tablets (both Android and Apple).

The Android platform has better multitasking and customization that you can do on the device, but it tends to be a little more finicky in my experience, requiring more restarts, app crashing, etc. Although it does happen with Apple tablets as well. I tend to get more "Oh shit, my tablet is all fucked up, help me" family calls on Android devices than Apple. However, This may be because they are using low to mid grade Android tablets too, so take that for what it is worth.

Someone with more day-to-day full time usage of a good quality Android device might be able to give you more insight on what the good models are, how they run, etc.

If you do go Apple, you should be able to find a good used one in the sub-400 range I would think, any of the 3rd gen, 4th gen or Air models would work just fine.

my .02

-Zey

My fear is, I grab an apple (used) or new but older model and they stop pushing updates to it in 6 months and I'm left with a brick and pissed off.

Almost as drunk as Andaas Tenelen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonskils View Post
    My fear is, I grab an apple (used) or new but older model and they stop pushing updates to it in 6 months and I'm left with a brick and pissed off.
    Thats true with Apple but not really for Android or MS

Tommy Chong's new sidekick
    I had the Galaxy Tablet 2014 Edition, expensive but nice, until it fell on the ground and the screen shattered (4 days ago).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141022_114445.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	7432

I got the Tab S 10.5 yesterday, very fast. My only complaint is no stylus, not that I use it much.

Love my ipad! <3 Wife has always loved hers too.
    Widespread Panic

I went with the iPad air, I figure since I already have the iPhone, might as well have it all sync'd up and I already have a bunch of cables.