Thread: Video card recommendations

Blog Entries

Video card recommendations

So I recently had a video card go out, and am looking for something that's a good price vs. performance. I'm not looking to break the bank, but at the same time, don't want to go dirt cheap. Intentional vagueness in price left open because I want to see what people throw at me (although it's highly unlikely that I'd spend $1000 on a video card, so you can leave those setups out to save time and space).
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

Hoss Officer / WoW
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	897615.png 
Views:	278 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	7507

I got the Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 and am extremely happy with it

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the GTX 970 is a great card in the $300 range, very efficient and fast. In the $200 range the Radeon R9 285 or 280X are good, as is the GTX 960. I think it is worth it to get the GTX 970 though, should last for a long time, will play any 1080p game at well over 60fps typically, and you can get 30+ fps on higher resolutions too.

This is what I am using. If you don't mind spending the extra money. It will keep up a little longer than the 970.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OD38516
    Last edited by Adella; 03-26-2015 at 11:52 AM.

If you do get the 980 don't freak out if you install it and get a black screen. That's what happened to me when I got mine. Just had to flash my mobo with the latest bios and it worked like a charm.

Its a beast of a card. The fans barely spin when running wow at max settings. It also has a dual fan control built in that will make only one fan spin to keep it nice and quiet. The second fan only kicks in when it needs the extra cooling power. Which I have yet to be in need of. Other than when testing it's scores.

Holy crap! 970 starts at $425 here and a 980 is almost more than a new bmw. The GTX Titan might as well require that you wear a gold apple watch while purchasing it.
    Last edited by Syllean; 03-27-2015 at 10:21 AM.

I think I paid $399 for my 970... but it is an actual Nvidia model

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

I go with the 970 unless u plan to run it at really high res 2k+.

Not a fan of the ati cards. I been running a 7970 for the
    past 2 years. Wish i just stayed with the nvida cards.

The power consumption for the nvida 9 series is just so low compared to must of the
    ati stuff. i
    Elkwood Level 70 Druid

Hoss/WoW
    The 970 is really good on power and easy on the heat. The AMD 290 is pretty good as well. I have used one for the last year and it plays most games at max settings on a 2560x1440. The gigabyte windforce models of either Nvidia or AMD are real nice for how well they cool and how quiet they are.

I picked up the 970 and it is a beast.

I just talked Alexthegreat into upgrading his card to it!

f u double post...

Blog Entries
    Thought I'd posted already, but I ordered a 970 GTX. Unfortunately Newegg shipped it by horse or something, looks like I won't be seeing it until Wednesday.
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

At the rate they are putting shit out, it is almost impossible these days, not to spend 500 or more a year just to stay with a good rig.
    Ab alio spectes alteri quod feceris

I have been running WoW on Ultra with the Nvidia GTX 560 Ti for years. I average about $100 per year on video card expenses (getting a $300 card every three years).

Blog Entries
    That's a pretty good recommendation Scrub, that $300 range is usually the sweet spot for price/performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeyela View Post
    That's a pretty good recommendation Scrub, that $300 range is usually the sweet spot for price/performance.
    GTx 1080!
    Last edited by JerrellFev; 10-13-2021 at 08:00 AM.