Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mass changes

Mass changes

http://eq.crgaming.com/viewarticle.asp?Article=4811

I wonder how many will quit after these changes? Personally I never liked the mage- mod-rod phase( that is currently the hip thing with magicians) It's simply not what I envisioned a mage to be doing when I started playing a mage 3 years ago.

I've had more birthdays than Strom Thurman! Zappo's Avatar
    http://www.afterlifeguild.org/Thott/news.php
    read threw it, before you flame
    Last edited by Zappo; 10-08-2002 at 09:34 PM.

Fuck these changes. We'll still need to rod, a mage's job will just be more tedious and less helpful.

Oh, and Verant - can I have all those AAs I spent in Quick Summoning, Natural Durability and Earth Form back? You're giving the wizards their points back for Manaburn /shrug

Did they ever get frenzied burnout working? Or is it still useless? I was going to invest in quick summoning before I quit..

The thing that gets me about this nerf is, why do they decide to make these kind of changes 9 months or so after the release?

Nwinn's Better Half

Nerf Clerics, they're overpowered

Clerics are over powered and too much fun to play, nerf them again!

Joshua
    aka Sexy Lexi da SUPER gnome!!!

Wow, I actually agree with most of those changes. I always thought the new mod rod was too powerful, it essentially makes mana infinite on a raid. Although they will have to tune the hell out of the game to make up for the changes they are doing.

As far as Manaburn goes, I don't see that being too big of a problem for wizards in high level raiding guilds. Correct me if I am wrong, but you guys could just time it (as long as the wait between isn't too ridiculous) if a number of wizards want to use it on an uber mob?

As far as the CH changes goes, I don't think it changes a whole lot, whether or not tanks will ever need to be healed for 10K. No matter what, EQ will always be balanced around the largest and most efficient heal if mobs are designed to do damage to one primary target. Having CH lower doesn't change it's distinction as the best heal around. Although all these tank shield abilities etc might help break that part of the game up.

You have to admit one thing though: all these changes take balls on the part of the development team.

Hmm once a minute and targetted, I can see how that would be a bit difficult now. Though it just changes things.

Manaburn nerf needed to be done, I'm sure the wizard boards are enraged as it only allowed them to farm millions of plat and not helpful too much on raids. You can have my acrobatics bitches!

And the CH thing isn't a big change at all really.

Not really groundbreaking, but some I'm sure there's the lobby that doesn't really like change whining... as they will about anything when something is taken away.

All of luclin now needs to be changed though heh

;D

Hopefully they will make it more enjoyable for Mages during raids via other means. I know necros never liked the mana xfer thing when they got it in luclin and I never enjoyed it during Luclin.

Atleast they seem to understand as I get from the post.

.................................................. .................................................. .....

We view Magicians as an excellent source of damage, especially with the many pet enhancements that have been made over the past year. To be honest, it is a more than a small shame that their full energies have been viewed as "needed" to be spent, full-time, purely on transferring their mana to others. Magicians are supposed to be the masters of elemental conjuration and highly respected as a damage-dealer, not the masters of mana transferrence.

Well...

You all do not realize it yet maybe, but this will seriously break the game and have the reverse effect of what VI is trying to accomplish.

If these changes were live tonight, we would not have beat the emperor even if he had half as many HP. We would not be able to beat VT.

They state they are trying to bring the game back into balance to make it more skill oriented and less about zerging, but that is exactly what it will mean will be necessary unless they are seriously retuning every single encounter to the appropriate correct level. But what are they going to base this on?? 40 people? 50 people? What level of equipment?? Can you clerics sit on these fights like we used to do? No way in hell with the agro on Luclin mobs. So how will clerics get mana to fight these mobs?

Are they going to give Seru 200K HP? Are they going to have to add AE's and other NPC AE dots the the bosses to compensate for the lack of HP??

Is this doable? Yes I think. But you know how long it will take to accomplish this?? A long time!! To tune every major encounter in the game will take a very long time. So what this means is the game will be broke for a long time and every guild will be brought to a stand still while they do patch after patch and retune every single encounter. Less HP and more strategy? Quicker fights? I'm all for this, but just lowering the HP on every single mob is not gonna do it and Zerging will become very popular again rather fast.

Most of the uber luclin encounters are about endurance, not strategy. Sure the Emp fight and the HP fight are fun and require coordination. Are they going to make every fight like this?? That will take a while!!

I guess we will have to wait and see, but expect that the loot flow will be on short supply for a while till they fix what they are about to break...

Of course, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong!!

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    Heh I love these people who think manaburn is even remotely useful other than killing 32k hp mobs. Newsflash: its not. 4 casts of EER = my manaburn.

And yes Nuuk, I understood fully what these changes mean to the game immediately. And you are correct. What this will do is make us require a dozen clerics and to get them all 15 FT. At least with that many clerics in rotation, they should be able to sit down.

Verant is not competent enough to tune the encounters to these changes in one patch, period. Half the encounters in the game will be broken for weeks. Guilds without a lot of clerics will be fucked. (hi Hoss)

The funny part is, I agree with all the changes for the most part. Except I'd have simply changed manaburn into something different that is *gasp* useful. The PERFECT solution would be to turn it into a percent based damage spell. Think about it: it would solve two problems at once. Mobs with tons of hp that would be impossible due to the mod rod nerf would suddenly become doable. Its not overpowered because the fights would have to last a certain amount of time at least because of the 1 per minute thing.

I also think mod rods should have like 5 charges, and cost 5 times as much mana to cast. That way a mage doesn't have to keep track of any of that shit. Make one before the fight and youre done.

CH nerf is silly. It changes nothing. Clerics will still rotate exactly as before, except w/o mod rods. How many CHs healed over 7500 hp? not many. If you wanna nerf the spell, nerf it right. Of course you'd have to retune the entire game, but VI pretty much committed itself to doing that anyway.

Had verant had the balls to nerf this shit a long time ago, they would have made it a lot better for everyone. Btw, wheres the nerf for ranger AA archery?

Blog Entries
    They could make every wizard on every server very happy if they just replaced manaburn with gather mana.
    Firanja - Medicor Mortuus
    Andaas Taranis - Druidicus Corpsus
    Andae - Clericus Inanimis

CH nerf isnt really a nerf atm but will be in Pop with lvl 65 warriors with 355sta and another 10% more hp.

The rod nerf wouldnt be bad if most of the luclin fights werent designed with the idea of a large ammount of mana available. Or someone need to explain me how to kill the damn kaas in vt without rods as it is.

Nerfing rods means a whole revamping of luclin encounters which i doubt will be done.

AS for the monk nerf thingy well i think the whole melee damage avoidance/mitigation system needed a revamp not just hit the monks with the nerf stick :/
    Froggy > rhedd

Part of the changes, Nuuk, was an encounter rebalance, so speculating that we would not be able to beat mob X or Y is something neither you nor I really has any means to say with credibility.

The big question is: is the change enough to even make monks feel it?

My feeling says no.

CH has been overpowered ever since velious, however velious and luclin were designed around it. Same with defensive. 2/3 the game will need to be completely retuned because of the nerf to CH.

Manaburn has been asking to be nerfed since it's implimentation, that was a long time coming.

Hopefully VI thinks carefully about encounter redesigns and takes into account their nerf to Mod rods, because otherwise I feel bad for the mages that still play.
    Rezz

Jesus on the dashboard
    Whenever it feels right

Did they ever get frenzied burnout working?
    Pet haste is capped around 80% or so. Flurry does not work. Any parses I've seen show no significant damage increase over burnout 4 + muzzle (like 100 maybe? probably closer).

Yeah, mod rods were stupid. But why can't I rod myself more than once a minute? Limit how many rods I can give away if you have to destroy the need for mages.

A lot of people will get fucked. They replaced good items with Shields of Auras, Halos of Enlightening Barriers, etc. so they could get mana regen at 0 hp loss (these have rune effects). Now what? There are people stuck with a Shield of Auras that upgraded from a Essence of Nature.

The pet upgrades were a joke. On a raid, pet damage is horrible. In xp, it's nice but already was pre-upgrade. My nukes are ok, but without ancients mages are still a half-wizard.

I can't wait to see what kind of crap PoP is if they are still finishing (or starting over?) Luclin with a new expansion in 2 weeks.

I think Zead and Poosaecat is gonna be alot more popular after this change ;D.

/Aedail

noone likes zead!

Brutal...

These changes are brutal. Unless they decrease high end Luclin mobs' hit points by at least 3/4, they'd be impossible without mod rods. The only really bad change is the mod rod one. Some people may have thought CH rotations were "boring", but they were a viable strategy that took good coordination between clerics, tanks, mages, shaman, and other classes. Maintaining a 30-minutes CH rotation against Aten Ha Ra through cleric deaths, linkdeaths, and while being grav-fluxed every minute or so was no picnic, and DID require skill and tactics; there was a reason our 2-boxed clerics preferred not to be in the rotation. After this patch, the only tactic will be zerging, since you'll never be able to keep up with uber mob dps, unless they're also nerfed to have the dps of moss snakes.

It's way too late to make such sweeping changes to the game; they should just let it be. If anyone actually believes VI will properly balance all existing encounters that require CH rotations and mod rods, they don't know how VI operates. Many high-end mobs in Luclin and Velious will be unkillable for months at least - guaranteed, hehe.

Well

I didn't give most of the changes much mind, or even think about them too much, except for one, the Monk nerf

I really feel bad for those people, that were surfing around the everquest sites a couple of years ago when Kunark was released for information on what class to play. They looked over skills, skill caps, avoidance caps, and likewise information. They chose Monk because of the combination of skills and caps and after 2 years of playing the character, with over 60 to 70 days played, they hit them hard with a cut back in their skills just because there are some items that are all/all that make them better tanks than Warriors and knights and took the lazy approach to fixing the issue. They didnt want to make sweeping changes to all/all 0 weight items to make them monk unfriendly, instead, what they did was hurt the people that have been playing a class for the last 2 years based on what they believed the class to be based on their skill caps.

Fucking morons is what they are....but hey thats why I am not playing anymore
    Rhedd
    Always a dwarf.