Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What's in a Name?

Question What's in a Name?

I've posted about this before, but since more and more new people have been viewing our boards, I figured I'd start it up again. Answer the following questions:

--------------------------------------------------------
    1. What's your character(s') name(s)?
    2. How do you pronounce that?
    3. Does it have an origin, and if so, what?

--------------------------------------------------------

I'll start.
    1. What's your character(s') name(s)? Phaera, Lynette
    2. How do you pronounce that? F-air-rah, Lyn-ette
    3. Does it have an origin, and if so, what? I was just tired of playing my original enchanter, and after talking to my dear friend Scrith, was convinced to create a paladin. However, I wanted to be unique, and so I chose a Erudite. I didnt even know Erudites could be paladins until Phaera was created. Lynette was just created to fullfill my solo'ing needs. Now she's worthless.

1. What's your character(s') name(s)? Lronius de la Mancha

2. How do you pronounce that? EL-Ro-Ni-Us

3. Does it have an origin, and if so, what? Back in the day of Quake1 before a match I would change my name sometimes to goof off. One time when changing my name back I typed my name a bit too fast, so my name was LRod Insane... I played like that for a few matches on accident, and it became my nickname of my nickname. (odd huh?). When I was making Lronius I figured I'd do a name play on LRod and Erroneus... and came up with Lronius. de la Mancha came from my love of Don Quixote books, the man of la Mancha. So back in the day when we had to petition for a GM (Good ol Solist) to come give us our last name (/surname wouldn't be implimented for another 4 months), I asked for de la Mancha, at first he said I couldn't have spaces, but I pointed out 10 other people I had seen with spaces in their last names, and was then given it. Thats my story.
    Last edited by Lronius de la Mancha; 08-11-2001 at 07:43 PM.
    Lronius de la Mancha
    www.gotrice.org
    37 NE Priest - Uther
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/lordinsane.png

A Hero of the Seven Suns Torrid's Avatar
    1. See name above picture

2. If you can't pronounce it, learn english

3. Dictionary (arn't I creative?) My old handles sucked
    Last edited by Torrid; 08-12-2001 at 03:42 AM.

Cool ...

1. Trevlen(Woodelf Druid)
    Modrid(Barbarian Warrior)

2. Trev-lin
    Mo(long o)-drid

3. Modrid was my first char. His name derives from King Arthur. IF you remember the story, King Arthur had a bastard son from his sister. His name? Modrid. He killed King Arthur
    Trevlen is a name i got from James Bond believe it or not. 007's arch enemy Trevlen. I liked the name so i used it and thought it would be cool for a druid. SOrry i aint very original but i like the names

-Trev

1)Maelikki
    Wubbleh

2) errrr.....
    Mae hey likki
    wubbleh

3)Mae was the fruit of 2 server rejection on froggy or Fortuna then i used some random french method (must be some book or summit)

Wubblehs is the name given to peeps in my q3f clan and wubblehs > bears also

Myztlee Hrumlizz
    Mostly Harmless
    (same can be said for Mowzlee's name too)

Way, WAY back in the day, we're talking 1986, while I was in my 1st year of university, we had a very primitive form of IRC that was part of the intranet of Queen's University (Kingston, not New York). A bunch of us would chat online using a client we had all worked on to develop.

I was a rabid Douglas Adams fan (still am, may he rest in peace, cry) at the time, and So Long and Thanks For All The Fish was about 4 months from release. I just liked Mostly Harmless as a nick, started using it, and that was that. Besides, Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged was already taken.

Brunen Em'Ayche
    BROOnen, with Em'Ayche being how you'd say MH out loud. MH of course from Mostly Harmless. Thanks to Ermac for that. Bru - Broo for short.

Brunen was actually a typo, it should have been Brunnen, as in Brunnen G, from the Lexx series, but I didn't realize how it was spelled until around level 6 and by then I didn't want to start over (remember, this was back in the first few weeks of release, when people actually used, let alone paid for, patchwork armor).

Captain Kallsex
    1. Kallaill

2. Kahl- ale

3. Had the game random choose a name similar to this and i changed it around a little because I thought Kallaill sounded better. Later in the games a RL friend told me that the name i had chosen was superman's real name. =D

1. Succubbus female DE necro, succubbus is the female demon that drains the life from her victims, especially men, seemed to fit

2. sasori-druid, sasori is japanese for scorpion, husband picked that name.

3. genka-cleric, genka is japanese for health

4. vyper-iksar monk, well gucci was already taken

Pyat

Pronounced "Pee-Yahht"

I was in eq p3-p4 beta, but i actually didn't play, i just had a half elf who sat around in qeynos and fished all day, i don't think i even made level 2. So when the real game came out i decided to make a gnome, and sat at the character make screen for about an hour trying to think of a good name.. eventually i just made pyat up and.. boom~ gnome.

-pyat

My stupid name

Phantasym= well duh =P

BTW wasn't King Arthurs bastard son Mordrid?

1. Deidden (Dee-Ed-Den) Proudfoot: Halfling Cleric. Originally my p4 EQ character was called Odoe Proudfoot (I wanted Odo but EQ names required at least 4 letters - !~@#~#$^). After beta I really didn't like my name and decided to change it, so after 15 or so minutes looking at random names, I found Deidden and saw it as a perfect match for the surname of Proudfoot (Odo Proudfoot came from Tolkien if anyone is wondering).

1. Twing/Twong

2. uh, Twong/Twing???

3. Lots have already heard this but its a funny story so ill repeat it =). One spring break we were at Lake Havasu out and about partying at different campsites and stuff (imgaine that from me).
    Well we mjet a bunch of girls and i decided to make up a name and a story and see if they would buy it.

My other friends went with their normal boring names, but i went with Twong, the foreign exchange student from Korea. Not only that, but i had told them i'd only been in the states for 6 months, and what did they think of my english (keep in mind i have no accent whatsoever, full socal boy).

Well not only did they buy it, but i got major compliment about my english and how well i well i picked up the language.

Well, one would think that that woulda been enough, but the capper was this. Later that night, from across a campsite i heard some girls shouting, "LOOK ITS TWONG!!!" hahaha that owned i partied with them more that night and my bros were pissed that they didnt remeber a single one of their names, only my made up one.

Thats it, kinda funny, but certainly memorable.

Twing > Ubar

Talking Fizbain...

Fizbain

Fiz (plop plop, fiz fiz) b (long a) ain

Yeah yeah, stfu. I know he's a character in Dragonlance. But I never read the fooking book! When i made Fiz, it was by complete accident.

I had started a monk (with pregenerated name) and was sitting outside Qeynos when i saw two names that would be cool combined. Fizzlethorp and McBain. So I thought to myself, gee wiz, Fiz-bain would be a cool name. Thus Fizbain was born. To this day, no matter where I am, people ask the same question: You read Dragonlance?

Now that I've got the name, I'm almost intrigued enough to read the books.

-Fizzy

Red face

Why so anti alka-seltzer, Fizzy?

Vinilaa: pronunciation should be obvious. While vanilla is my favorite flavor, the truth of the matter is, the name was server generated.

At the time Vin was created I was also playing a barb warrior (my first char) named Tatania (from Titania Queen of the Faeries in a Midsummer Night's Dream). I soon decided a warrior was just too boring for me and deleted Tatania.

Antiopa: Pronounced Ante Opa. Another name for Hippolyta (Queen of the Amazons) and also a kind of butterfly Nymphalis antiopa. Hippolyta also makes an appearance in a Midsummer Night's Dream.

What can I say, I like Shakespeare.

Vinilaa ~the~ Soulbreaker

I AM NOT A PALADIN AND I DO NOT LOVE YOU!

Grew up in Qeynos, currently a resident of Thurgadin

Uhhhh

1) Elkay
    Pronounced, "LK"

2) VI wouldnt let me use 'LK' so I spelled it.

3) Means nothing to anyone living. To the dead who understand it's meaning, they're dead so fuck em.

1. Hippos
    2. Hip Hop Anonymous
    3. In Age of Empires I joined a clan called Burning. Your name had to be Burning_AnimalName, so at first I chose CaMeL like Joe Camel (The Shit). Well after my rating started sucking, I made it Burning_HiPPo and used that until I made it GDL_HiPPo, GDL was a Rainbow Six clan. Eventually I heard people like Wyvern, Twong, 3 others saying EQ was the shit so I started a character on Brell, not knowing that they were on Fennin.

My first character's name was Inko after Red_Inko (Also the shit) who played Age of Empires. After I lost my corpse in the blood pool in Crushbone, not knowing how to swim until like level 20, I moved to Fennin and named my character Hippo, who was a wood elf ranger. Soon, I found rangers sucked more than a 3 doller sigon crack whore and made a druid just because I wanted to cast spells and stuff, and named him Hippos.

The last name, well Wyvern came up with that. I wanted it to be Needs`Money.

That is what is in my name.

..Bump; I cant believe I finally found this thread again.

The Fat
    1) Dharrk
    2) Dark
    3) I think I was playing Perfect Dark when I created this character and it fit with the whole shadowknight thing.
    Dharrk 1.0 - The Original

1. Zobb
    2. Zawb
    3. Back at launch my main was a Pally (/shudders). I played with Elidroth's old main, Kanf and another RL friend of ours. Kanf PL'ed like a dorf out of hell and left the rest of us in his trail. So we all created Troll so we could play together. We decided we would RP the trolls and everyone had to have a name that started with Z. Kanf created his first and called it Zott so I made mine Zobb, Elidroths was Zoog (you should call him that now ).
    I took a year off and when I came back decided my SK was the most fun I had so I made him my main.
    Zobb
    Crabbe

You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that!

1. Selenajra

2. Cell-uh-naw-jra (the j is pronouced, a sorta "d/j/g" sound)

3. picked it out of the swirling chaos of insanity that is my mind.
    Last edited by Selenajra; 05-24-2002 at 03:22 PM.
    Maestro/Hunter of Hoss
    Druzzil Ro/Draenor
    Priest/Rogue of Phank
    Doomhammer