Thread: 28 Days Later

28 Days Later

Finally, a good movie for the summer. It's NOT a zombie movie, even though the ads make it look like a big action zombie show, it's quite slow paced in spots, but very interesting, more of an "end of the world" type movie.

Don't go expecting something like Resident Evil or any other typical zombie movie. Avoid the previews if you can, best to just go and watch it with a clean slate.

I really enjoyed it.

Totally agree with Myz.... The film Owned.... much better then dog soliders

The guy everyone loves to hate Vidmer's Avatar
    Dog soldiers rocked. I never laughed so hard at a B movie. The scene where the one guy goes nuts on the werewolf throwing everything in the kitchen at it then boxing it had me in stiches.

If it's not a zombie movie, then what on earth are those living dead people that's walking exactly like zombies and when they bite someone they get infected and become zombies to? Doesn't that sound like a pretty exact description of a zombie?

When I read on the back of the movie box, it sounded like an "end of the world" type of movie, and that's why I rented it. When I saw it, I saw a crappy zombie movie that was nothing less than disgusting in the end.

/aed

Rented it? It just came out in the theaters here.

Zombie movie - hoards of mindless zombies staggering around groaning, trapping the main characters somewhere, lots of action, blood, gore, shooting, usually ending with either the entire planet being overrun (if it wasn't already), or the main characters running off into the distance, ending unsure. It's all about the zombies, and there are lots of them. Zombie movies are generally dumb and don't care about the living characters. example: Return of the Living Dead.

This movie concentrates more on the end of the world side of things, what do you do when it appears you and a few other people are the only remaining people left on the planet, and even then your survival is unsure, everyone you know has died, the system of society has collapsed. The zombies are an afterthought, they could just have well of been an asteroid that slammed into the earth. This movie is about the people, not the zombies. example: Last Night.

The original preview I saw for it never even mentioned the "infected". It only showed the guy waking up, and seemingly ever other single person in England was gone. What do you do when you're the only living person on earth? That's still the main point of this movie, the zombies are just the catalyst.

Not everyone will like it, as not everyone expects or likes movies that concentrate more on characters and intelligent story-telling than mindless gore and action.
    Last edited by Myztlee; 06-28-2003 at 12:50 PM.

Originally posted by Myztlee
    This movie concentrates more on the end of the world side of things, what do you do when it appears you and a few other people are the only remaining people left on the planet, and even then your survival is unsure, everyone you know has died, the system of society has collapsed. The zombies are an afterthought, they could just have well of been an asteroid that slammed into the earth.

Day of the dead = this
    Juice, Al'Kabor
    Lothaine

Hoss Ninja
    Going to see it tonight
    Sexoon

28 Days Later is more like Day of the Triffids than a zombie movie.

is it very gorey? I saw the preview and am intrigued by it, but i'm not a fan of the house a 1000 corpses genre.

I'm kind of torn on this flick, it sounds very cool, same director who did trainspotting i heard, but i dont dig on scarey marilyn manson looking zombie jumping at you type movies which it almost seems it is, but isn't.

No. It isnt very gorey at all. I thought the movie was ok, it wasnt bad but it wasnt good. It did have slow parts where you might be expecting something to happen and it doesnt. English humor/horror is different from Americans, kind of dry.

There's some gore - puking up blood on people, someone gets hacked with a machete, but it's more flashing stuff, very Psycho-ish, like, "what did I just see there", more implied than outright, full-frame dismemberment. There are no instestines being ripped out or limbs being eaten like you normally see in zombie movies.

More like the "infected" will jump on someone and there's lots of thrashing around, blood splattering on the walls. The worst would be the thumbs in the eyes, but even then, the thumb-eye thing in Blade Runner was bloodier.

It's aboslutely NOT like House of 1000 Corpses, I thought of making that comparison earlier.

There are some good startles - I don't call them scares. A balloon popping makes you jump, but it doesn't scare you. Things jumping out at you in a movie startles you, it's not scaring you. There is potential to scare people, I'm just too desensitized to this stuff to have it scare me.

And yeah, understanding Brit humour/horror will help. It tends to be more subtle, or in american terms, boring. But to me, it's a nice break from being pounded over the head like most US movies do. Like, for example, Charlies Angels II.

So it's not 1000 Corpses, it's not Dawn of the Dead, but there is some blood and things rushing at you. I really liked it. I'd say if you are interested, go, take an aisle seat, if you don't like it, leave. Or find some date that likes scary movies.

And now I'm off to see Charlies Angels II.